Decide what you need to rethink to teaching online.
I. Absorb Set
12 hour break (minimum)
II. Do Set
12 hour break
III. Connect Set
12 hour break
IV. Reflect Set*
The Internet has changed how we access, share and facilitate information. The essential question is no longer how to use technology to teach. The question now is, how does collaboration and online engagement focus on improvement?
Teaching Online is about devoting yourself to helping develop the power of your learners minds. It’s about your passion for helping learners flourish as critically thinking, curious, creative, and compassionate individuals.
What do you need to rethink to teach online?
The meaning of sadhana.
Sadhana does not mean any specific kind of activity. Sadhana means you are using everything as a tool to open to the flow of natural experience.
Natural experience opens your connection to understanding and wisdom as it naturally comes and goes in the give and take of the river of life.Sadhguru & T.Y. Pang
The meaning of true education.
True education should wake up the Innate Humanity inside of you. When you reach a higher level of practice and understanding, you learn to harmonize yourself inside, then you become able to harmonize with other people, and with outside situations.T.Y. Pang
It is up to you to make the time for practice; the more you practice the more you will learn.
Time is a created thing. To say I don’t have time,’ is like saying, I don’t want to.― Lao Tzu
I. Absorb Set
Practice in order
First, please complete the sadhana practice. Second, click on each question and review each answer. Third, take a break!
1. Complete the Elements of Thought sadhana practice.
Sadhana does not mean any specific kind of activity, sadhana means you are using everything as a tool to open to the flow of natural learning.
Everyone thinks; it is our nature to do so. But much of our thinking, left to itself, is biased, distorted, partial, uninformed, or downright prejudiced. If we want to think well, we must understand at least the rudiments of thought, the most basic structures out of which all thinking is made. We must learn how to take thinking apart.
Foundation for Critical Thinking
The purpose of this sadhana is to help you open to the flow of natural experience and reasonable thinking.
1. Relax for 5 minutes.
Quietly sit straight and upright for 5 minutes, head and spine straight, concentrating only on your breath. Sit in an erect position, shoulders relaxed, palms flat on thighs. Center your focus on your midsection. Breath in and out deeply through your nose.
Pay attention to your spine. Your spine is where you will feel the flow of energy. Notice which parts of the spine feel warm and where there are no feelings or numbness. This information will indicate where your energy is flowing and where it is not. Your energy originates in the spine and flows out through the body.
When thoughts come up, let them go gently. Don’t beat yourself up. That brings more thought. Gently let them go. Use the RAIN tool below to help you gently let go.
- Recognize your thoughts.
- Allow your thoughts to be just as they are.
- Investigate your thoughts with kindness.
- Natural awareness will come from not identifying with your thoughts.
2. Watch the video below.
3. Think about purpose.
Now tap into your awareness. All reasoning has a purpose. Your purpose is your goal, your objective, what you are trying to accomplish. You should be clear about your purpose, and your purpose should be justifiable.
- Take time to state your purpose clearly.
- Distinguish your purpose from related purposes.
- Check periodically to be sure you are still on target.
- Choose significant and realistic purposes.
Complete the following understanding of purpose:
- I understand “purpose” to mean…
- In other words, [elaborate in a few sentences]…
- An example of someone having purpose would be…
4. Keep reminding yourself why you do sadhana.
Otherwise, your thoughts, your emotions, your physicality will get entangled with your runaway mind.
2. How is teaching online different?
- Learning opportunities to practice and improve.
- Learning responsibility for individual learning.
- Learning something that’s useful that can be applied according to individual life situations.
3. Why is teaching online important?
4. What is the best way for me to teach online?
Teaching and learning online gives you an opportunity to rethink your teaching. You have an opportunity to change your mindset on how you teach.
How would you like to be teach online? Is it possible? Are you open to change? The important point is to be open to doing things differently.
5. How do I cover content online?
You don’t. Covering content a narrow and superficial way to learn. Teaching online is about reaching learners by influencing their learning intentions and successes in ways that go far beyond their expectations.
It’s about moving difficult, unprepared, and ill-prepared learners to a slightly higher level. It’s about taking programmed superficial learners, and converting them into deep learners, with deep intentions.
6. What is deep and broad online learning?
Deep and broad learning is about practice: how to find, evaluate, analyze, and apply information within a specific knowledge domain.
Deep and broad learning is about critical thinking: assessing reasoning for clarity, accuracy, precision, relevance, depth, breadth, logicalness, significance and fairness.
7. What makes a good online teacher?
8. What are the different types of online learners?
Most learners choose one of three broad approaches to their learning. Their choice directly impacts what they do.
- Surface learners intentions are to survive. They want to jump through the course hoops as fast as possible. They often resort to what they think will be easy.
- Strategic learners are driven by a desire for recognition, good grades. They learn for the reward of a hihg grade. Strategic learners tend not to take risks (don’t mess up the grade) or to learn conceptually. They learn the art of procedural hoop jumping, how to get the right number in a formula, or the right words in an essay.
- Deep learners grapple with ideas, concepts, and the implications and applications of those ideas and concepts. Deep learners undergo transformations in the concepts they hold. Their learning has a sustained and substantial influence on the way they will subsequently think, act, and feel. What the Best College Teachers Do– Dr. Ken Bains
9. What is learning online like from the learners point of view?
10. How do you create connections with learners who have different interests and values?
When you tell learners how your online course will improve their education, their chances for the job they want, and their personal life, they will be motivated to learn.
When learners are motivated to learn, they work (practice) longer, develop deeper connections, and think more critically. Here are a few tips.
Good social communication skills
- Your learners need to be able to communicate in a variety of ways. Writing and speaking skills remain critical, but increasingly the ability to communicate through modern media using social media.
Independent and inter-dependent learning
- Online learning, by its nature, requires learners to take responsibility for managing their learning.
Real world, authentic activities
- Learners control their interests in your online course. Learners need to be interested in the subject matter to be engaged in their learning.
- You control the relevance of the content to the learner. Providing relative content is critical to the success of your online course.
You also have control over the degree to which learners understand why they are learning what they are learning.
- Make learning relevant and you will increase learner engagement. To determine how relevant the content in your online course, ask yourself these three questions;
- How does the content connect to other subjects as well as current events?
- How does the content apply the learners interests and everyday life?
- How might the content affect their aspirations?
Real world, authentic assessment
- Many learners, who are used to being fed content then tested on their memory of it, will have a new appreciation for learning how to learn.
Practice in order
Take a break for 12 hours (min)